EMS LODD and a Lesson

Champion EMS EMT-trainee Casey Steenland, aged 33 died on Friday, August 13th in Texas, an apparent victim of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Three other Champion EMS members were treated, two required HBO (hyperbaric oxygen) according to local news sources. All four were apparently exposed to CO from an ambulance generator left running in crew quarters where they were sleeping. There were no CO detectors in the building.

We deeply regret the loss of our sister, Casey Steenland. I have long believed that every brother and sister who dies in the line of duty has a message they most certainly would like us to hear. It is our duty to honor these heroes by actively listening to their cry. As OSHA investigates the circumstances of this multiple victim CO incident in Texas, let’s take the immediate lesson that Champion EMS heard right away. Do your crew quarters have CO detectors? Every Champion EMS station had them by Friday afternoon. Your crew quarters need to have them by tonite.

Mike McEvoy
EMS Editor
Fire Engineering